Friday, June 26, 2009

Japanese Quilt for Dad


My father fancies himself a samurai. Yeah, we're half Japanese and we did, once upon a time, have our own kingdom in Japan. We are the Tendo's (translated: Heavenly Palace) but we were over run by the Yama-somethings a really long time ago.

Anyhow, I digress.

I had been planning on making Dad a quilt for Father's Day, but never found the time to work on it in between starting up my Etsy shop and working RIDICULOUS hours at the "real job".

I've been on medical leave for about a week and a half now and am due back on Tuesday, so I figured that I should get my but in gear and make the quilt while I still have a few days to myself.

I chose some really awesome fabric from my local quilt shop "Sew Special". Patty, the owner's daughter, helped me out (she has an amazing eye for fabric).

I had pulled down the geisha print (Alexander Henry) and the green (Robert Kauffman) and red (Kimono material) and some sort of crain fabric. She tossed the crains aside and pulled down the maple, which I would have never chosen myself, and ta-da! A quilt was conceived.

Planning on doing large strips with some big squares to keep it simple and back it with some comfy flannel.

I want it to be nice an comfy for my dad. He doesn't get to lounge around often, so when he does I want it to be awesome.

Aside from my husband, he's my biggest sewing fan. It's so funny how he never sees the flaws in anything that I make. I guess that's the perk and beauty of being the only daughter.

I love my dad. He's been a tough act to follow, but I somehow landed a hubby that's pretty close in terms of endearment.

I got lucky with both of them.


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for a gift! I never thought of making my dad a quilt but I bet he would love one.

    ReplyDelete